Monday, March 7, 2011

ALOHA!!!

This last month has been great! The highlight was I got to go to Hawaii! My friend's husband had to go for a job interview, & she wanted someone to go with. She took pity on me,& decided to take me with her! We drove to Las Vegas, & spent the night @ Becky & Joe's house. (Thanks again) Then Becky took us to the airport.We flew into Oahu(sp?) and the next day we toured that island. We went into Honolulu, & walked on Waikiki Beach.Slept, Went to Pearl Harbor, and spent a while there. It was pretty surreal to be there. They have you watch a movie,explaining what was going on, & how the attack happened, & footage of the attack, then they take you out on a ferry to the memorial. It was so peaceful there,& it was hard to imagine that something so awful could have happened.
Then we were off to see the Temple. It was beautiful! I wished I had brought my recommend...The sister missionaries got to wear fun Hawaiian dresses, They looked so cute! We drove by the PCC, but didn't go inside. Off the the North Shore! Where the super big waves are,& it was so crowded, because there way a surf pipeline competition.(so we didn't get out.) We also went to the Dole plantation. I thought it was cool. I always thought that pineapples grew on trees...? nope! They take 3 years to grow! Did you know that? & they are plants. I was told that the naughty kids were sent over to Hawaii, to go pick pineapples,I figures they had to climb trees? You never know what you will learn. & now when I pay $3.00/or more for a pineapple, I will remember that it took so long to grow. Now off to the airport to fly into Kauai.
I couldn't see much when we flew in,because it was so dark. But the next day I was blown away by how beautiful it was! Everything was so green, & the ocean was so clear & the color changed from turquoise, to dark blue, and sometimes green. The weather was perfect. 78*-81* light trade winds, to blow away the humidity. It rained a few times, but at night, but we were on the rainy side of the island.
The beaches were the best part. None of them were crowded,& each beach had something different. I learned hoe to snorkel, & it was so cool to see what was in the water! I saw some of the most beautiful fish, coral, and sea life! I felt like I was watching it on tv. & after I calmed my breathing down, it was so peaceful. Like I had been transferred to a different world! I know Connor would love to snorkel! I would love to take him someday!
One of the days we decided to hike the Nepali Coast. There is a wonderful waterfall that you can hike to, and some amazing views of the water from the coast. I was excited to hike it. I think the Nepali coast is the most beautiful part of the island. So we started hiking, and it was really hard! We were climbing up huge boulders, with a cliff on one side, & mountain on the other side.(We thought the hike was 2 miles round trip, but then were told that it was 8) About half way you came to a "beach" where 98 people so far have died. For some reason (the people were idiots) people thing they could get in the water? of the waves would come crash down & carry them away? I didn't need a sign to tell me "no swimming" but i wish my pictures would do it justice. anyways, back to hiking.I saw the most amazing views,& again my pictures don't do it justice.but it was SO hard! We crossed rivers,and mud was everywhere! making my shoes slippery! & the trail was right along the cliff. (Im glad I put on tennis shoes, but I was wearing my swimming suit, & a skirt!) we were almost to the waterfalls, I was drenched in sweat & humidity, & when I saw what we had to cross, I knew I couldn't do it. I told my friend & her husband I was turning back & would meet them @ the dangerous beach. I felt sort of sad I wouldn't make it to the waterfalls, but I was too scared.SO I turned around & headed back. I knew as I was walking away, thet you should never go hiking alone. I kept going, and never saw another person. I knew that I was going the wrong way. I started to back track, and realized I was really lost. I kept walking, as I was telling myself to stay put. I ran into a part of the jungle where there was a bamboo lean to. There was a tarp, and an old back pack. I knew I was lost! I had walked so far into jungle, I didn't know if people would find me. I started to look around, and then started feeling dizzy. I could feel the panic start to come over me.I have never been more scared in my life! I had to tell myself to breath, & calm down. I was crying, and stared to pray. I said I was sorry,(because we were hiking on Sunday) but reminded him that I have been reading my scriptures, & that I needed help! I started walking, and had no clue which way to go.when I headed one direction, I knew it was the wrong way, so I turned around & went another way. I continued doing this until I found the river, and on a tree I saw a pink hat. I knew it was a sign for me! I sat there crying until finally a couple passed me. I immediately started following them. They asked if I was ok, & I told them I needed to follow them. I said I didn't need to be with them, I just needed to see the way out. They were very nice to let me hike out with them. The three of us also got lost a little bit, but it was much nicer to be lost with people. We saw a pair of old shorts on a rock & again I knew that would lead us to the correct path.Finally I found my way back to the dangerous beach, & my new friends went on their way. My friend Mandy, had also turned around & didnt make it to the waterfall, but she passed me when I was lost. By the time we made it back to the beach, we were covered in mud, sweaty, & all our muscles hurt! Come to find out, this hike is for advanced hikers, and even for them, it is a tough hike...now I know! It is funny now (kind of) but I can still cry about it very easily! I did keep thinking how this could be used in my Young Women lessons someday?
The rest of my trip was nice & relaxing. & I cant wait to go back there someday with Bill & the kids.
Kennedy had her wax museum at school. She has to research someone from history, dress up like them & recite facts. She chose Sacajawea. It was fun to see everyone all dressed up.
Connor has decided to try out for track. He isn't sure what he wants to do, but I am excited for him to be involved in some extra curricular(sp?) activities. He also did the Polar Plunge! & said he would do it again!
Claire seemed to have grown up so much while I was gone!
Clayton is just about ready to earn his Wolf, in cub scouts!

No comments:


race map

race map
It was so beautiful!

here's the "Before"

here's the "Before"
Before...

pony tails, to be cut off

pony tails, to be cut off

too late to change your mind...

it's short!

it's short!
now...we'll make it cute!

darling!

darling!
"she looks like a teenager" Clayton said

happy st. pactricks day!

happy st. pactricks day!
Claire loves to strike a pose...

Cousin Brigham

Cousin Brigham
Clayton, Claire & Kennedy loved to feed Brigham...good thing he was a good eater!

Happy Birthday Claire!

swine flu virus

swine flu virus
GROSS!

This is what 9 looks like

This is what 9 looks like

How is that for a hairdo?

How is that for a hairdo?
thanks Lara

Let's go fly a kite!


Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year!!!


Orcas Island from ferry

Orcas Island from ferry

Orcad Island ferry landing

Orcad Island ferry landing